Wednesday, April 23, 2014

CAGE DRESS DIY



Spring has reached Switzerland.  The trees are bearing leaves once again, the birds are nesting and there are tulips everywhere.  It really is a beautiful time to be in Basel and I’m savoring every moment.  It’s finally time to unpack my summer clothes.

I brought along a little black dress that had been hanging in my closet for many years.  It’s one of those handy dresses that you can cram into the smallest corner of your suitcase and doesn’t require ironing (I love those!).  After unpacking the dress, I decided that it could use some spicing up.  A little DIY was in order.  With just a bit of ribbon and thread I converted it to a “cage dress”.  Now it’s ready for a night out.

Clockwise from top left: Boutique Seven, BCBGMAXAZRIA, Rebecca Taylor, Nasty Gal.

Supplies
Little black dress
Black ribbon (width matching the straps of dress)
Scissors
Safety pins
Needle
Black thread
Matches
Dress form (optional)

Method
1) The first step in converting your little black dress into a cage dress is to cut a piece of ribbon large enough to wrap around your head.

2) Burn the ends of the ribbon (to prevent it from fraying) and sew together.

3) Pin the neckpiece in place.  Here it would help to have a dress form.  Unfortunately, I had to try the dress on and pin the ribbon in place.

4) Add a few cross pieces of ribbon, pinning and burning the ends as you go along.

5) Try the dress on to make sure the ribbons are correctly positioned.

6) Once you are happy, sew ribbons in place and remove safety pins.

Voila! Your cage dress is done.



Well the back of the dress could use some tweaking, but it will do for now.

Do you have a little black dress in your closet that you’re bored of?  Why not try and convert it into a cage dress?  If you do, send me some photos of your finished work.  I’d love to see the result.  Till next time… Nicole.

10 comments:

  1. I love the inspiration and the simple effect of ribbons ! The perfect dress to wear with my interlaced pouch for a trendy and smart outfit ! ;) http://www.tadaam.fr/2014/04/pochette-tressee-1-mint-et-noir.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that cage dress thing, but never thought of making it myself thanks for the diy
    Daniela
    curlymade.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been eyeing that dress! I love this, it's a must-make! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I just thrifted the perfect dress for this! What great timing! Thanks for the great inspiration and a wonderful new blog to follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comments RaChil! It's always fun to find things second hand and give it new life. Let me know how it goes and please send me a pic when you're done :) Have a great day!

      Delete
  5. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. Unlike other blogs I have read which are really not that good.Thanks alot! http://totshoes.com

    ReplyDelete

UA-39822949-1