Sunday, January 19, 2014

COPPER AND MARBLE CANDLEHOLDER DIY


Happy 2014!  Having just returned from my beautiful hometown of Cape Town, South Africa, I am inspired and excited to begin planning my new ventures and adventures for this year.  To kick it all off, I want to share a project that will help ward off the winter blues. I have been in love with copper and marble elements for a while now and decided to combine the two to create a few accessories for my home.  Below are some images that have inspired me. 




Clockwise: 1/ 2/ 3/ 4/ 5


These marble and copper candleholders were created using simple oven-bake clay and leftover copper piping we had lying about.

Supplies:
2 oz. white oven bake clay
2 oz. grey/granite oven bake clay
1” copper pipe

Method:
1: Cut and condition the clay.  I used about 1 part grey/granite to 4 parts white clay.

2: Roll the clay into long snake-like shapes.

3:  Press granite clay into white and fold clay in half.  Fold in half again.

Repeat steps (2) and (3) two more times.

4: Once clay is sufficiently mixed, roll into a ball.

5: Shape clay into a square by flattening the sides, top and base.

6: Insert copper pipe into the center of the clay.

7: Bake following packaging instructions.

I hope these candleholders bring a little light and warmth to your home this winter.  Nicole

UA-39822949-1